Here are some tips to help you prepare for a flood:
1. Stay informed: Keep up-to-date of flood warnings in your area through local news outlets, or emergency management agencies.
2. Create an emergency plan: Develop a plan with your family or household members that outlines what to do in case of a flood.
• Make sure to include any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
3. Prepare an emergency kit: Keep a kit with essential supplies such as non-perishable food, water, flashlights, batteries, a first aid kit, and any necessary medications.
4. Protect your property: Consider purchasing flood insurance and take steps to protect your property from flood damage, such as elevating appliances and installing flood barriers.
5. Evacuate if necessary: If evacuation is recommended, follow the instructions of local authorities and bring your emergency kit with you.
Here are some additional tips to stay safe during a flood:
– Avoid walking or driving through floodwaters.
– Stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires.
– Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
– If you are trapped in a building during a flood, go to the highest level and wait for rescuers.
– If you are in a vehicle during a flood, abandon it and move to higher ground.
KCFD, Caltrans prepare for spring melt – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYzmJ1WgNuM